We got the new Dishing It Up Disney Style Cookbook at the FFL Conference. My kids immediately flipped to the "snacks and desserts" section and chose Pocahontas's Peanut Butter Trail Mix Balls.
I just happened to have everything we needed to make the recipe so we whipped up a batch (making slight alterations) and let me tell you they are
Peanut Butter Balliscious
I'm pretty sure Domestic Divo ate at least half of them...
So, without further ado, here's the recipe.
I'm also including the alterations we made and carb count, too (what a gal!):
- 1 cup peanut butter (50 CHO)
- 1 cup honey. I used 3/4 cup and they were PLENTY sweet. (~200 CHO)
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (162 CHO)
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed (20 CHO)
- 1 cup chocolate chips - I used mini chocolate chips. I just think mini is mo' fun. (~100 CHO)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice. We used peanuts (22 CHO)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit of your choice. I omitted this.
Grab a big bowl and a sturdy spoon. Had I known how thick these bad boys were, I would have busted out my KitchenAid Mixer. Mix peanut butter and honey until smooth. Add in oats and flaxseed. Add in chocolate chips and nuts and dried fruit if that's your thing.
Roll into ping-pong size balls. Because I am
anal detail-oriented, I like everything to be the same size (and therefore the exact same carb count) so I used my Pampered Chef Small Scoop. If you do not own these scoops in every size, find your local Pampered Chef Peddler and BUY THEM.
The recipe made 60 total so each PB ball was 9 carbs. Pop them in the fridge for safe keeping (makes them less sticky, too) or you can freeze them.