Here's a compilation of some of our favorite "no blood sugar spike" products and recipes that are sure to satisfy the tummies of those with and without working beta cells
- NuNaturals Liquid Stevia - we love both clear and vanilla. I use it all the time in baking to reduce the sugar. I like to substitute out at least half of the sugar for liquid stevia. For example, if a recipe calls for 1/2 cup sugar I'll use 1/4 cup coconut sugar and 1/2 tsp stevia. Also tastes great in coffee.
- Coconut Sugar - Can be substituted out 1:1 for sugar in all recipes. Same carb count as sugar but provides nutrients like magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, B vitamins and amino acids.
- Sarah Lee 45 Calories and Delightful Whole Wheat Bread - At 7 carbs per slice, it's sure to be easy on the BGs. At 45 calories per slice, it's also easy on Momma's LBs.
- Smart & Delicious Whole Wheat Tortillas - 50 calories, 10g carbs and 7g fiber per tortilla and it tastes good, too? It's a tortilla miracle.
- So Delicious Chocolate Coconut Milk - Comes in a carton or lunch-size packs. 12 carbs for 1 cup of this SO DELICIOUS dairy-free treat.
- California Lavash Whole Grain Wrap - Made with stone ground whole wheat Hi-protein flour, the uses for this are endless: sandwiches, wraps, personal pizzas...or bake to make a yummy chip. 10 Carbs for 1/2 a sheet which is enough to fill this Momma up.
- Organic Whole Flax Seed - I'm not partial to any particular brand, but I buy the whole flax seed, keep it in my fridge and grind some up in the Magic Bullet whenever I need ground flaxseed. I pretty much sprinkle ground flaxseed in and on everything my kids eat...smoothies, peanut butter sandwiches, cereal, tacos, quesadillas, fruit...great way to add Omega-3 and Fiber into their diet without them even knowing it.
- The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam - YUM. She cooks/bakes with agave syrup, so I substitute a mixture of coconut sugar and stevia in lieu of the agave syrup in her recipes.
- Eating Stella Style by George Stella - This man is a low carb genius and this cookbook uses almond flour and flax seed in a lot of recipes
- Good Carb Family Cookbook by George Stella - Another goodie. I believe you'll have to buy this one used if you want it.
- Peanut Butter Balliscious - Go Ball-istic!
- Ella's favorite "no spike" chocolate chip cookies - best hot & fresh out of the oven
- Flourless Zucchini Brownies - From Delighted Momma's Blog. These are really good. Really good. Like I might make a batch right now good.
- Cashew Butter Flourless Zucchini Brownies - because when you run out of almond butter, you gots to get crazy.
- No Noodles Lasagna - From The Dashing Dish - Really good, but I have yet to get my kids to like it. Suggest you whip up a batch for the adults and make some plain buttered noodles for the kids. Someday they'll appreciate it.
- Vegan Cowboys Krissy-Style. Inspired by Bigfoot. Because what kid doesn't want to eat cookies for breakfast??
- Cheesy Chips - Better than Doritos and no carbs. How 'bout that.