Our woes with rashes to adhesives started about 3 months after Ella started on the Omnipod.
It started with a small little rash once I removed the Omnipod.
It quickly progressed to a red, inflamed, itchy rash that would develop within 24 hours of a new Omnipod.
So, we quit the Omnipod because I wasn't about to do Omnipod changes on a daily basis and Ella's skin had taken a serious beating.
We've been plugging along with Animas ping for a few months now.
We do site changes every 2 days and full (insulin & site) every 4 days.
That seemed to work swell.
Every once in a while she'd have a rash after 2 days but it cleared up quick with a low-dose corticosteroid.
But now that it's summer and she's swimming every day, I noticed she develops a rash to the site very quickly.
So we're having to do DAILY site changes.
So imagine how thrilled I was when, after having done a site change at 7am on Monday, Ella tells me a mere 12 hours later that the site is itchy and she needs to pull it.
I think I pouted like a 3 year old and said, "FINE - PULL IT!"
And slammed a new site on her tooshie.
But when I pulled the little plastic inserter gizmo thingy off, I noticed the fat part of the site, where the little insulin connector thingy plugs in, hadn't stuck all the way down and I could see underneath the site where the cannula was in about 3/4 of the way.
So I did what any responsible Type 1 parent would do: I pushed it down and then I texted my T1D Mommas to see if they thought it would work. The consensus was it could go either way and they all wished me luck.
I know you're dying to know the results, so here's the play-by-play:
7 pm: Insert new site. BG 96. Looking good.
9 pm: BG 160. Hmmm....could be the pasta she ate for dinner. Small correction.
11 pm: BG 170. Not bad. Still could go either way. Small correction.
1 am: BG 230. 0.3 blood ketones. Crap.
I pulled the site.
Cannula was completely bent over.
Freaking Skin Allergies.